In "Danger of Single Story" it speaks on problems that any and everyone can relate to. Coming from an area that many would consider to be "poor" or called the "ghetto" there are stories told that are false about us. These stories are what people that do not know us, or have not seen the area believe is truth. The stories that tell is that we are a group of uneducated black people without any manners or control. This is the story a richer outside white area may be told about us. That we have no money to take care of our family, no one is working, and our parents does not care about us. These are the stories made up by people with power and they benefit off of these stories. They benefit because with these stories it keeps everyone separate. Why would anyone want to associate with a person of that description? I am living proof of how false these single stories can. Growing up in the "Ghetto" was the most fun time ever. All the kids would go out side each day and enjoy life, play every game possible. We learn a lot from our parents, and also attend school like any other child. Each night had to be in at 7 as a kid, would come in watch hands and eat dinner as a family. Life in what many would call the "Ghetto was a great part of my life and not what outsiders make it seem.These stories are nothing more than stereotypes put to keep a certain area down. What single stories have you been told? How have single stories effected your life?

A single story that I have been told is that girls could only be into make up, clothes, doing their hair, and jewelry. This has affected my life because although my cousin and I are girls, we are into the things mentioned before, but also sports, comics, and snap-back. I feel as though people hear or create a single story about someone and that makes them already not like that person. If we put the single stories aside and got to know people better, we would get along better.
ReplyDeleteYes I've heard that single story over time, that if a boy was into those things he is soft or called many foul names just for liking what he likes rather than what society has picked us to like. Also agree with the prejudging people I've done that then once finally meet person , end up liking them.
DeleteSingle stories I heard that my friends told me about girls and there crazy stories effect the way I have looked at certain females today. Even though I wouldn't know the person I would just assume that they was a certain way because of the story one of my friends would tell me, showing me only one side of that person character and I would judge them due to that. I think single stories can ruin a person rep and make them loose friendship that they would never get due to a person hearing a single story about them
ReplyDelete